Friday 6 February 2009

Week 2 - MS Silverlight

I was looking forward to this talk as Silverlight is a technology I have been keeping an eye on for some time. Some of the capabilities of the technology were displayed at the Microsoft talk last year, despite it running version 1.0 (JavaScript) it looked very impressive.

This year they showcased the capabilities of the superior version (they demonstrated this last year when Silverlight 2.0 was beta by getting “.net” to play “JavaScript” at a game of chess... .net never lost). Something that stood out for me was the similarities to flash, it is obviously a competing technology the bonus for me being that it now runs on the .net framework with c# being at the heart of most applications made. This is good for me because although i often use Flash in my projects I use ASP.NET 3.5 C# at the backend to serve all my server side needs. If i were to learn Silverlight it looks like i could use C# across both technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment